This recipe uses NW Elixirs #3 Hott Smoke.
- 1 Large Ham Hock (from Tails and Trotters)
- 2 Medium Yellow Onions small dice
- 1 Small Celery Root Bulb small dice
- 3 Cloves of Garlic sliced thinly
- 3 Tablespoons Un-Salted Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Blend Oil
- 1 Teaspoon of ground cumin
- 3 Tablespoons NW Elixirs #3 Hott Smoke
- 1 Pound of Dry Split Peas
- 8 cups of Water
- Salt to Taste
Melt butter and oil in large stock pot, add the onions, garlic, and celery root. Saute until onions are translucent, add the cumin. Put in the ham hock and stir to coat with residual butter and oil, add the NW Elixirs Hott Smoke #3, add split peas and stir in to mix evenly. Cover with water and bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook until peas are tender and falling apart. At this point remove the ham hock and pull the meat from the bones, I use my kitchen aide stick blender to blend the soup until smooth. If it is very thick add some more water to gain the desired thickness.
Pour into a warm bowl and top with meat from the hock. Add a little more NW Elixirs #3 Hott Smoke as desired.