This recipe uses Outer Limits Jalapeño Lime Hot Sauce
Jalapeno Lime Shrimp Tostadas with Cilantro Pesto and Pico De Gallo
- 1 lb Large Shrimp (16-20 count), Peeled and Deveined
- 3 Tbsp Outer Limits Jalapeno Lime Hot Sauce
- 1/4 Cup + 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil + More for Brushing Tortillas
- 3/4 lb Tomatoes
- 3 Jalapenos
- 1/4 of a White Onion
- 1 Bunch of Cilantro
- 1 Lime
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 1/4 Cup Cotija Cheese
- 6 Six Inch Flour Tortillas
- Queso Fresco for finishing
- Salt and Pepper
1. First make the Pico De Gallo; Cut the 3/4 lb of tomatoes into a small dice, cut the 1/4 of a white onion into a small dice, mince one Jalapeno, mince 2 Tbsp of cilantro, mince one clove of garlic and add all ingredients to a bowl. Squeeze the juice of one lime over the bowl and add salt and pepper to taste. Let the Pico De Gallo sit in the fridge, the longer it sits the better it will taste.
2. Mix 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil with 3 Tbsp of Outer Limits Jalapeno Lime Hot Sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Pour over the peeled and deveined shrimp and let marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes or up to to one hour.
3. Next make the Cilantro Pesto. Start by roasting two jalapenos over an open flame until the skin is completely blackened and the peppers soften up. Then place the jalapenos in a small bowl and cover it with plastic wrap. Let the peppers sit in the bowl for 5-10 minutes this will make the skin easier to peel off. After the peppers have sat rub the skin off with a paper towel. Cut the stems off and then place the peppers in a food processor along with the cilantro, use all the leaves and tender stems, just trim off the very bottom of the cilantro stems. Next add the 1/4 cup of Cotija Cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Turn on the food processor and slowly stream in the 1/4 cup of olive oil. Place the finished pesto aside.
4. Place the marinated shrimp on a foil lined baking sheet and roast for 6 minutes in an oven pre-heated to 400 degrees.
5. While the shrimp are roasting toast your tortillas. Lightly brush each side of the tortillas with olive oil and then one at a time place them in a non stick pan over medium heat and toast them until crispy but not burnt. About 2 minutes per side. Once they are golden brown and are crispy enough that they no longer fold they are done.
6. Lastly assemble the tostadas. Spread some Cilantro Pesto on top of a tortilla, place 4-5 shrimp on top then top with Pico De Gallo and some crumbled Queso Fresco. Enjoy!
Note: This makes enough tostadas for 2 people to have as a main course. If you are serving more people just double the amount of shrimp and marinade and toast more tortillas. You will still have enough Pesto and Pico De Gallo to serve 4 people, so no need to make extra. If you're only serving two people use the leftover Pesto and Pico for burritos the next day!