This recipe uses Baron's Caribbean Marinade (hot or mild)
This gourmet twist on an old favorite combines jerk flavors with a cool tropical sauce
- 2 whole racks/slabs of natural pork baby back ribs (~ 2 lbs.)
- 1 ¼ cups Baron’s International Kitchen Caribbean Marinade(hot or mild jerk sauce)
- 1 cup crushed pineapple (in pineapple juice, no sugar added)
- 4 oz pureed fresh ripe plum
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger (peel and discard the skin)
- 1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
Place baby back ribs and ¾ cups Caribbean Marinade in a gallon sized ziploc bag and place in the refrigerator. Marinate for 5 hours (longer for a more bold flavor), shaking bag occasionally (discard marinade in ziploc afterwards). Make the pineapple plum sauce and set aside.
It is important to slowly cook the ribs on a low heat on a raised grilling rack so that air can circulate. If you do not have a raised rack, arrange the oven racks with one in the middle position and the other in the lowest position. Completely cover the lower rack with heavy duty aluminum foil to catch the drippings from the ribs. Preheat the oven to 325° F.
To make the sauce:
Combine the pineapple, plum, vinegar, honey, mint, ginger and soy sauce. Mix well then set aside.
Place ribs in the oven on the top rack, discard marinade from ziploc bag. Cook for 2 hours, turn the ribs every 15 minutes and baste both sides with remaining unused Caribbean.