This recipe uses NW Elixirs Hot Sauce #1.
- 1 each onion diced
- 3 each garlic cloves minced
- 1 each smoked ham hock
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 each fresh thyme sprigs leaves picked
- 2 each bay leafs
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons NW Elixirs Hott Sauce #1
- Salt and Ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cups dry black eyed peas, soaked in water overnight
- 8 cups of water
Soak the Black Eye Peas in cold water over night.
When ready to cook; in large pot heat olive oil and add onions, sauté until translucent. Add cumin and garlic and stir to combine. Add ham hock, NW Elixirs Hott Sauce #1, and peas. Stir to coat all with Hott Sauce. Add vinegar. Once vinegar is reduced, add the water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer a cook for 45 minutes uncovered. Once peas are very soft use an emulsion blender to puree the soup. To serve, briefly heat bowls in oven, ladle into bowls and drizzle with Hott Sauce if desired.